Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Scholarship Office Contact Information

Address: 95 N 300 W Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Second floor of Ensign College

Call: 801-524-8111


Types of Financial Aid Available

There are many financial options that may be available for students:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Ensign College Scholarships
  • State Aid
  • Alternative Student Loans

Please see the "Types of Aid Available" tab on the Financial Aid website for information about each option.

Important Deadlines for Federal Student Aid

Financial Aid Census Date

The amount of financial aid you qualify for is affected by the credit hours for which you are enrolled as of 11:59 p.m. on the financial aid census date (“FAD”).  Classes added after this date or dropped/withdrawn before funds are disbursed to your student account will not impact your financial aid eligibility for the semester.

Please review the academic calendars to identify the financial aid determination deadline

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Deadline

The Department of Education must receive a valid FAFSA by the last day of enrollment, or June 30th, whichever comes first. Students should complete their FAFSA and submit any required documents preferably two months before their last day of attendance. 


The financial aid office recommends students turn in all verification items as soon as possible – preferably no later than two months before the last date of enrollment. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of all deadlines. Please visit the FAFSA Verification Information website for more information.

Ensign College Scholarships

To embrace and support each individual’s unique talents and circumstances, the College provides a variety of scholarship funds for campus students. Ensign College has a Scholarship Portal which allows students to apply for institutional scholarships and many outside scholarship opportunities. Please visit our scholarship website to learn more about the scholarship options and to apply for a scholarship,

General Scholarship Policies

Ensign College scholarship recipients are expected to abide by the Ensign College Scholarship Policy. Please view

Types of Federal Financial Aid Available

Students may apply for federal financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To learn more about federal financial aid at Ensign College, visit Ensign College participates in the following federal programs. 

Federal Pell Grant 
A Federal Pell Grant is provided by the U.S. Department of Education on the basis of financial need. Pell Grants are based on the estimated cost of attendance, length of the enrollment period, and then number or program applicable credits in which a student enrolls. Most students do not have to be enrolled full time to qualify for a Pell Grant; however, taking less than 12 credits will result in a prorated award. The student must be an undergraduate who does not already have a bachelor’s degree. A Pell Grant is not a loan and is not required to be paid back in most circumstances. 

Federal Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education provides a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan based on financial need. The U.S. Department of Education also provides a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan; however, it is not based on financial need. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 program applicable credits for their loan funds to disburse. Principal and interest payments are postponed while the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) and during the six-month grace period after graduation or ceasing to attend at least half-time. While the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half time), the federal government pays the interest for the student. For more information on student loans and grace periods, please visit

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) 
A Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available for the parents of undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least half-time (6 credits). The amount borrowed by the parent may not exceed the estimated cost of attendance during the period of enrollment. Please contact the financial aid office to determine eligibility.

General Eligibility for Federal Student Aid

In general, a financial aid recipient must meet the following eligibility standards:

  1. Have a high school diploma, G.E.D. certificate, or a high school equivalency certificate issued by their state of legal residence.
  2. Be admitted and enrolled as a degree-seeking student (must be enrolled in a program that is eligible for federal financial aid).
  3. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  4. Be making satisfactory academic progress. For details please visit

Be current on any required repayments of federal grants and/or federal student loans received for attendance at any school.

  1. Have a valid Social Security Number.

How to Apply for Federal Student Aid

We recommend all federal financial aid students visit the “Financial Aid Steps” at for information about how to apply for federal aid.

  1. Complete a FAFSA
  2. Check your Ensign College Email
  3. Submit Required Documents
  4. View or Accept your Financial Aid Awards
  5. Receiving Your Aid
  6. Staying Eligible


Return of Title IV or Withdrawals

Students receiving financial aid or scholarships should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing or dropping any classes after the semester has begun.  Students should never just stop attending class.  If a student drops or withdraws from individual classes, they must have begun attending in each course to remain eligible for the initial disbursement of financial aid.

At the end of the term, the financial aid office will review students who do not complete some or all of their classes and your last date of attendance is reviewed and/or your academic participation.  If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds completely withdraws (either officially or unofficially) from the College after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined.  Financial aid may be reduced after this review is complete and student will be notified via email about balances returned to the Department of Education.

Please visit for more detailed information.

Marriage and Federal Financial Aid

Students who are married by the last day of the Winter semester may choose to update their marital status.  Students are encouraged to speak with the financial aid office before changing marital status if they have already submitted a FAFSA for the current academic year.

For more information about changing marital status, please view

Satisfactory Academic Progress

A student receiving federal aid (federal grants and loans) must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). SAP includes your cumulative grade point average, your aggregate completion rate (Pace) and the maximum time frame to complete your degree. All periods of enrollment count toward Satisfactory Academic Progress (Fall, Winter, Spring), including periods when a student does not receive financial aid. SAP is processed at the completion of each semester once grades are posted and aid may be delayed until a student's eligibility can be determined.

Students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, complete at least 67% of the classes taken, and complete their program within 150% of the published program time (see your academic catalog year for specific # of credits). 

Please visit our website for more information and the SAP policy