Ensign College Housing Policy

Ensign College provides a unique educational environment consistent with the religious standards of its sponsor—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because living conditions can greatly influence a student’s experience, Ensign College desires a living environment for its students that promotes moral and spiritual growth as well as academic performance.

Ensign College’s approved housing program differs from the housing program offered by other schools affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ensign College relies upon the community to provide accommodations for its students, and does not own, operate, or control any student housing facilities. Students are expected to maintain the Residential Living Standards wherever they live.

Residential Living Standards

Students are required to comply with the following Residential Living Standards:

CES Honor Code

Students are required to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the Church Educational System (CES) Honor Code “at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9). This includes following the college’s dress and grooming standards, living a chaste and virtuous life; respecting others; abstaining from, possessing, serving, or consuming alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, and harmful drugs. Involvement with gambling, pornographic, erotic, indecent, or offensive material, obscene or indecent conduct or expressions, disorderly or disruptive conduct, or any other conduct or action inconsistent with the CES Honor Code or the principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the sole discretion of the college is not permitted in a student’s residence.

Sex-Separated Housing

All single students are required to live in sex-separated dwelling units unless they have obtained prior written permission from Ensign College’s Dean of Student’s Office. Brothers and sisters of the same family may live together in the same dwelling unit provided no other single persons live in the dwelling unit other than brothers and sisters of that immediate family.

Single students who find themselves in individual dwelling units where sex-separation is not maintained, that is, where a roommate (or apartment-mate or housemate) who is a member of the opposite sex has moved in, are required to find other housing arrangements, at the student’s cost.


Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in living rooms and kitchens, but not in bedrooms or private hallways. The use of bathroom areas by members of the opposite sex is not appropriate unless emergency or civility dictate otherwise and then only if the safety and privacy of other residents are not jeopardized. Visiting hours for all may not begin before 9:00 a.m. and may not extend beyond 12:00 midnight. Friday night visiting hours may extend until 1:30 a.m. Landlords may establish a shorter visiting period if written notice is given to students. All guests of students must comply with the Residential Living Standards and the CES Honor Code while at a student’s dwelling unit. Violations of these standards may be reported to the Ensign College Honor Code Office.


No firearms, explosives, dangerous weapons, or any other items which, in their intended use, are capable of inflicting serious personal injury (except reasonable cutlery) may be stored, kept, or maintained in a student-occupied dwelling unit.

Address Requirement

All students must provide to Ensign College the current street address of their local residence (not a post office box). Students must verify their address each semester or term when registering for classes.

Preferred Off-Campus Housing

As an informal service to its students, Ensign College provides a list on its website of residential rental properties the owners of which have entered into an annual agreement with Ensign College to be considered a “Preferred Off-Campus Housing.” Students are free to make housing arrangements wherever they like and are under no obligation to choose from the list of Preferred Off-Campus Housing. Owners of Preferred Off-Campus Housing agree to promote the Residential Living Standards and Ensign College inspects the premises and dwelling units of Preferred Off-Campus Housing prior to entering into an annual agreement. However, Ensign College does not exercise control over the operations of any properties designated as Preferred Off-Campus Housing. Ensign College makes no representation or warranty as to the suitability, quality, safety, living conditions, tenant satisfaction, value, or any other factor or condition with respect to Preferred Off-Campus Housing. The student and his or her family are solely responsible for making all housing arrangements while the student attends Ensign College, including determining the suitability of a particular facility and inspecting and otherwise evaluating the facility before entering into a lease agreement.

Student Eligibility for Preferred Off-Campus Housing

Preferred Off-Campus Housing is only available to Eligible Students (defined below). Owners designate individual dwelling units or sections of their properties as Preferred Off-Campus Housing in which only Eligible Students of the same sex may reside.

“Eligible Student” means a student matriculated at Ensign College or another accredited institution of higher learning operated by the Church Educational System provided that institution has a comparable housing policy. An Eligible Student must be enrolled in daytime or evening classes, whether part or full-time, and must have paid the required application fee for enrollment or reenrollment for a semester or term commencing within four months after the initial date of occupancy.

The following do not qualify as Eligible Students:

  • Students who have been dismissed for an Honor Code violation or evicted for violations of the Ensign College Residential Living Standards.
  • Students on academic suspension.
  • Single students who have dependents or are legal guardians of dependent children.
  • Students who are married
  • Students who are 31 years of age and older

Further, Ensign College has determined that convicted sex offenders, whether required to register or not, pose a significant, clear and present danger to residents living in Preferred Off-Campus Housing, and do not qualify as Eligible Students.


For more information about Preferred Off-Campus Housing, contact the Ensign College Housing Office.

Ensign College Requirements for Owners of Preferred Off-Campus Housing

Owners of rental properties designated by Ensign College as Preferred Off-Campus Housing (Eligible Properties) must comply with the requirements contained in this document.

Eligible Students

Owners must designate the dwelling units that will be leased exclusively to Eligible Students of the same sex. The term “Eligible Student” is defined in the Ensign College Housing Policy. Prior to entering into a lease agreement with a student, an Owner must verify the applicant’s status as an Eligible Student by contacting the Ensign College Housing Office at 801-524-8180.

Residential Living Standards

Owners must promote Ensign College’s Residential Living Standards (as set forth in the Housing Policy) by

  • incorporating the Residential Living Standards into all lease agreements with Eligible Students (using the Ensign College Preferred Off-Campus Housing Addendum or another form of contract approved in writing by Ensign College);
  • ensuring that dwelling units designated for Eligible Students are separated by sex;
  • informing students of the Residential Living Standards by conspicuously posting copies of them in the dwelling units, reminding Eligible Students at lease sign-up and check in times that they are contractually obligated to abide by them, and providing copies of them to Eligible Students at check-in time;
  • reporting known violations of the Residential Living Standards to Ensign College Honor Code Office at 801-524-1936; and
  • taking corrective action as appropriate.

A material violation of the Residential Living Standards constitutes a violation of the Eligible Student’s lease agreement with the Owner and may necessitate corrective action by the Owner. An Owner’s failure to take reasonable steps to maintain the standards is grounds for Ensign College to terminate its agreement with the Owner and for Eligible Students to terminate their lease agreements with the Owner.

Although Owners agree to promote the Residential Living Standards, Owners and not Ensign College are responsible for operations of Eligible Properties, including but not limited to the following:

  • overseeing enforcement or compliance with the Residential Living Standards;
  • inspecting and monitoring the condition or cleanliness of individual dwelling units;
  • reviewing and approving terms with students (except for the Preferred Off-Campus Housing Addendum);
  • collecting rent and fees from Eligible Students;
  • issuing and collecting keys or access cards; and
  • mediating and resolving disputes between the Owner and its tenants, including Eligible Students.


Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 permits educational institutions to segregate its students on the basis of sex in housing, but institutions may not include non-students in sex separation. As a result, except for approved sex separation of dwelling units designated for Eligible Students, Owners may not discriminate in the rental of facilities on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, or disability. This requirement applies regardless of the size of a rental facility or whether the owner of the dwelling unitis living on the premises or not. Owners may not advertise any dwelling units as sex-separated.


Owners must maintain facilities in good repair, shall preserve the possession of the dwelling unit, and must use lawful procedures of notice and entry. Owners must reasonably and with due diligence resolve complaints. Owners must provide at least two contact numbers for each of its properties so that students can provide notice of complaints. At least one contact must reside or do business in the Salt Lake City area. Emergencies or critical problems affecting health or safety must be addressed promptly.

Threat of Harm

Owners must inform Ensign College immediately of any student contemplating life-threatening harm to self or others and of any other risk of serious harm to students. In an emergency, call the police (911) and then immediately call Church Security (801-240-2771), which will notify Ensign College. For non-emergencies, call the Ensign College Honor Code office (801-524-1936).

Good Faith and Fair Dealing

Owners must ensure that all descriptions, advertisements, and promotions are accurate, and must exercise good faith and fair dealing in all relations with students and Ensign College. If an Owner or its agent’s dealings are misleading, deceptive, dishonest, unfair, or in bad faith, Ensign College may terminate its agreement with the Owner. Owners may not remove students or harass or retaliate against them for the exercise of rights granted by contract or the law. Owners must make a good-faith effort to settle any controversies with an Eligible Student.

Owners must not refuse to rent to an Eligible Student based on the student’s likelihood of leaving for purposes of mission, marriage, internship, or graduation and must not unlawfully evict Eligible Tenants, or harass or retaliate against Eligible Tenants for their exercise of rights under the lease or Utah law;

Change of Ownership

Owners must notify the Ensign College Housing Office of any change of ownership. A change of ownership may, at Ensign College’s discretion, be grounds for termination of its agreement with the Owner.