Student Services Unit

Academic Advising

The Student Success Center (SSC) provides academic and general student success advising.  Student Success Advisors support and guide students throughout their time at the College by helping them:

  • Set general life and professional goals
  • Select appropriate educational courses and programs that support those goals
  • Understand policies and procedures
  • Connect with campus services and resources

Students can call 801-524-8151 to set an appointment to meet with their advisor, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.


Ensign College accepts qualified students without regard to race, color, creed, gender, national origin, age, or disability, provided they have met the equivalent of high school completion/graduation requirements and the ability to benefit; agree to abide by the Church Educational System (CES) Honor Code, including the Dress and Grooming Standards, and are otherwise qualified as determined by College policy through a holistic review.  Qualified applicants are admitted based on educational goals and commitment to College policies and standards.

Students who qualify for admission are admitted after reaching age 17.  All applicants must submit the equivalent of high school completion/graduation or completion of at least 24 semester credits of college work. The high school completion/graduation equivalency could be any of the following options:

  • High school diploma earned from a U.S. accredited public, private, or charter school
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) passing testing
  • Diploma, certificate, or transcript showing completion of Homeschool program that is recognized by a state as evidence of High School Completion/Graduation
  • Completion of secondary education (internationally) - must be evaluated by the International Education Research Foundation (IERF) or SpanTran and determined to be equivalent to high school completion/graduation

Non-native English speakers (domestic and international) must provide proof of English Proficiency.  International applicants requiring an I-20 to be issued an F-1 visa must also adhere to all federal immigration and laws and regulations, including affidavit of financial support and submitting necessary payment prior to being issued an I-20.

Admission may be restricted by semester or department depending on College or program capacities.

Admissions Procedures

Prospective students may apply via the Ensign College website.

All applicants will be required to complete an ecclesiastical endorsement as part of their admissions application.  Applicants who are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will need to meet with the bishop of the ward where their records reside and a member of their stake presidency.

Those applicants who are not members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will need to complete an initial interview with their own clergy or a local Latter-day Saint bishop and then have a follow-up interview with the Ensign College Chaplain, Jonathan Browning at 801-524-1923 or via email:

Application Fee

There is a one-time $35.00 application fee.

Application Materials

Applicants are to be honest and forthright in providing all education history on their application (from domestic and international institutions). Ensign College may require verification of this information and may require additional information, and any student who fails to provide correct information will be denied admissions. All admissions documentation received for an application becomes property of Ensign College and cannot be returned to the applicant. We will discard any international transcripts that are not properly evaluated.

If an applicant has already earned an Associate of Science (AS) or Bachelor’s degree in the U.S., they can only be in a certificate, Associate of Applied Science (AAS), or Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) program. They will not be able to earn a second AS degree.  If an applicant has been awarded an Associate of Science degree or Bachelor's degree OUTSIDE of the U.S., and an approved transcript evaluation service has evaluated the degree to be equivalent to a degree received from an U.S. accredited institution, the applicant will still be eligible to apply for any one of Ensign College's Associate of Science degrees or Bachelor of Applied Science degrees.

CES has a central processing center so all admissions application materials, including test scores for all CES schools (Ensign College, BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, and BYU) should be sent to:

CES Admissions Processing
B-226 ASB
Provo, UT 84602
Phone (801) 422-2507

Application Deadlines

Applications must have all application material submitted on or before the established deadlines listed below, for regular class schedules and Block B (classes that start the second half of the semester) schedules.  For more information on admissions dates and deadlines, please contact or visit


Application Deadlines

Fall 2023 (September 12 - December 14)

International Applicants: August 1, 2023
Domestic Applicants: September 1, 2023

Winter 2024 (January 4 - April 6)

International Applicants: November 15, 2023
Domestic Applicants: December 15, 2023

Spring 2024 (April 17 – July 19)

International Applicants: March 1, 2024
Domestic Applicants: April 1, 2024

Applicant Types

Domestic and international applicants will select one applicant type on the admissions application.
  • Freshman: The applicant has not completed any college or university work (in the U.S. or internationally) AFTER completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Transfer with fewer than 24 credits:  The applicant has completed fewer than 24 semester credits of college or university work (in the U.S. or internationally) after completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Transfer with more than 24 credits:  The applicant has completed more than 24 semester credits of college or university work (in the U.S. or internationally) after completing high school or its equivalency.
  • Former student with no additional credit:  The applicant has earned credits from Ensign College (formerly LDSBC) and has not attended any other college or university since last attending Ensign College.  
  • Former student with additional credit:  The applicant has earned credits from Ensign College (formerly LDSBC) and has attended another college or university after attending Ensign College. 
  • Visiting Student:  Any applicant wishing to enroll for a single semester to take courses with no intention to pursue and/or complete a degree. There is no federal financial aid available.
  • Former Online Student Via BYU Pathway Worldwide: The application has taken Ensign College courses through BYU Pathway Worldwide and is now interested in attending courses on campus.

Visiting Students

Definition:  A visiting student is defined as a student who wishes to enroll at Ensign College with no intention to pursue and/or complete a degree.  A visiting student is a non-matriculated student, meaning non-degree seeking.

Admissions, Visiting Students:

  1. Applicants wishing to enroll for a single semester at Ensign College but do not plan to earn an Ensign College degree may attend as a Visiting Student.
  2. International students living in the United States will not be permitted to see this applicant type on the admissions application as they are not eligible due to federal regulations.
  3. Visiting students can apply for any open semester.
  4. All admissions policies, application fees, processes, dates, deadlines, and discontinuance policies apply to the visiting applicant type.
  5. Prior educational documents will not be required for visiting students.
  6. All visiting students will have to complete the admissions application, which includes the ecclesiastical endorsement process, unless otherwise noted.

Registration, Visiting Students:

  1. All academic deadlines and tuition rates apply to visiting students.
  2. Visiting students may enroll in up to 12 credits per semester.
  3. Only 1 course taken as a visiting student will count toward an Ensign College degree.
  4. Courses taken and grades received as a visiting student will be posted on official Ensign College transcripts.
  5. The program of study noted on the transcript will be visiting student.
  6. Visiting students who wish to obtain a degree at Ensign College must reapply for admission as a degree-seeking student.
  7. Visiting students are not eligible for federal financial aid or Ensign College scholarships.
  8. Visiting students are not eligible for an Incomplete Grade process.
  9. Visiting students are eligible to audit a class.
  10. Visiting students will not be assigned an advisor.  In the event a student meets with an advisor, the academic requirements in MyEnsign will provide clarity showing no courses linked to their visiting program.
  11. Visiting students will be included in our headcount enrollment.

Notification of Application Status and Admission

Applicants can track their status and view their admission decision online at Notifications for admission decisions begin on the date listed on our website,, but may take an additional two to three weeks after applicants complete their application.

International Students Admissions

In addition to the standard application materials listed above, international and domestic applicants who complete their high school/secondary or college education at a non-U.S. accredited institution outside of the United States must provide the following:
  • High school/secondary education transcripts and, if applicable, college or university transcripts must be evaluated by an evaluation agency as part of the application process.  Ensign College accepts evaluations from SpanTran: The Evaluation Company ( and International Education Research Foundation (IERF) ( IERF is preferred.  These evaluations must show the equivalent of high school completion/graduation.
  • Proof of English Proficiency: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Test (IELTS), Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE), or Cambridge. International and domestic applicants not educated in an English language curriculum may be required to demonstrate English language proficiency by meeting minimum scores on one of the exams listed below.  In certain cases, these exams may be required of students educated in an English language curriculum as well. Official TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or Cambridge English results are required of applicants from non-English speaking countries or U.S. citizens whose high school education was not in English.  The minimum score requirements are as follows: (subject to change)

Effective September 1, 2017, Ensign College does not accept the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) or the Michigan Internexus tests.

Subject Area/ Sub Scores


















Pearson’s PTE






Cambridge English -
Advanced Placement Test (CAE) or Proficiency Test (CPE)






For those who have attended Brigham Young University - English Language Center, the Level Assessment Test may be used to demonstrate English Proficiency; however, it is at the discretion of Ensign College's Admission Committee to accept this assessment and scores for admission purposes.

Homeschool Applicants

Homeschool students who qualify for admission are admitted after reaching age 17, or after the graduation date of their traditional high school class.  Students must submit the equivalent of high school completion/graduation.  The following are the equivalent of high school completion/graduation:

  • Diploma, certificate, or transcript showing completion of homeschool program that is recognized by a state as evidence of high school completion
  • General Education Development (GED) certificate
  • Evidence of a passing score on tests recognized by the state and similar to the GED, such as the High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), and the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)

High School Transcript Verification

For students who have completed their high school work at a U.S. accredited institution, the applicant will need to self-report their high school GPA.  However, the Admissions Office reserves the right to request a transcript to verify high school completion and GPA at random as well as in the event that conflicting information may be present in the application.  If a transcript is required, it will be indicated on your status screen or from the email address.

PathwayConnect Students

Students who completed PathwayConnect at BYU-Pathway Worldwide are invited to apply for admission to Ensign College and, if admitted, are eligible for a Pathway scholarship, if the program is completed in the U.S. with at least a 3.0 GPA. On the admissions application, applicants will report having received PathwayConnect credit in their educational history and provide their PathwayConnect transcript and any additional materials required as outlined in the admissions application. These applicants will follow the regular admission process and are subject to the same admission requirements for all applicants.  Completion of PathwayConnect courses does not guaranteed admission, and the PathwayConnect transcript does not take the place of the high school equivalency or the English Proficiency requirements for on-campus students.

PathwayConnect Transfer Guide 
Ensign College will accept transfer coursework from BYU-Pathway Worldwide for students who completed PathwayConnect.  This can transfer as individual elective credit provided the student earns a minimum grade of C- or higher.

PathwayConnect Course

Ensign College Transfer Guide

PC 101: Life Skills

Elective credit (3)

PC 102: Professional Skills

Elective credit (3)

PC 103: University Skills

Elective credit (1)

REL 275: Teachings & Doctrine of the Book of Mormon

Cornerstone Religion

REL 250: Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel

Cornerstone Religion

REL 200: The Eternal Family

Cornerstone Religion

ACCPC 101: Financial Accounting I

ACC 101: Financial Accounting I

CSPC 105: Introduction to Programming

CS 105: Introduction to Programming

DMPC 105: Intro to Digital Marketing

DM 105: Introduction to Digital Marketing

BUSPC 113: Intro to Hosp. and Tourism

BUS 113: Intro to Hosp. and Tourism

MCOPC 180: Introduction to Medical Billing and Coding

MCO 180: Introduction to Medical Billing and Coding

PMPC 140: Introduction to Project Management

PM 140: Introduction to Project Management

On-campus students who completed PathwayConnect are encouraged to contact the Student Success Center 
(801-524-8151) and schedule an appointment with an Ensign College Student Success Advisor to plan their course of study and create a graduation plan.

CES Honor Code

The Church Educational System (CES) is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Church) and directed by the Church Board of Education/Boards of Trustees, with the mission to develop disciples of Jesus Christ who are leaders in their homes, the Church, and their communities.

The CES Honor Code helps to accomplish the CES mission to build disciples of Jesus Christ. As faculty, administration, staff, and students voluntarily commit to conduct their lives in accordance with the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, they strive to maintain the highest standards in their personal conduct regarding honor, integrity, morality, and consideration of others. By accepting appointment, continuing in employment, being admitted, or continuing enrollment, each member of the campus communities personally commits to observe the CES Honor Code approved by the Board of Trustees:

  • Maintain an Ecclesiastical Endorsement, including striving to deepen faith and maintain gospel standards
  • Be honest
  • Live a chaste and virtuous life, including abstaining from sexual relations outside marriage between a man and a woman. Living a chaste and virtuous life also includes abstaining from same-sex romantic behavior
  • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, marijuana, and other substance abuse
  • Participate regularly in Church services
  • Respect others, including the avoidance of profane and vulgar language
  • Obey the law and follow campus policies, including the CES Dress and Grooming standards
  • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code and Dress and Grooming standards

Good Honor Code Standing

Students must be in good honor code standing to be admitted to, continue enrollment at, and graduate from Ensign College. The term “good Honor Code standing” means that a student’s conduct is consistent with the Honor Code and the ideals and principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A student immediately loses good Honor Code standing if the Church formally restricts the student’s membership privileges or withdraws the student’s membership in the Church. A student also immediately loses good Honor Code standing if the student resigns membership in the Church. Further, a student is not in good honor code standing if his or her ecclesiastical endorsement has either lapsed or been withdrawn, or if the Honor Code Office has placed a hold on the student’s records.

All students, upon admission to Ensign College, are required to observe the standards of the Honor Code at all times, whether on or off campus. If, after admission decisions are announced, the college discovers an individual falsified or plagiarized content on the admissions application, or the initial ecclesiastical endorsement is withdrawn, the Admissions Office will review the facts and take appropriate action. When the Honor Code Office receives reports of other student misconduct that is not specifically addressed by other college policy, a normal Honor Code process will be initiated. The Honor Code Office will notify the student, indicating when a “hold” will be placed on the student’s registration if the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of the Honor Code Office by a specified date. The Honor Code Office also reserves the right to place a “hold” on the record of any student based on reports of student misconduct prior to notifying the student. Individuals who are on any sex-offender registry are not eligible for enrollment at Ensign College. Registered sex offenders will not be allowed employment at Ensign College nor other access to the campus.

CES Dress and Grooming Principles and Expectations

CES Dress and Grooming Principles and Expectations are part of the CES Honor Code and part of each student’s, employee’s, and volunteer’s commitment.

When considering Honor Code and dress and grooming decisions, the teachings of the prophets and apostles, as well as Church instruction, such as “For the Strength of Youth: A Guide for Making Choices” can be helpful.

CES Dress and Grooming Principles

Each student, employee, and volunteer commits to:

1.  Represent the Savior Jesus Christ, the Church, and the Church Educational System
2.  Preserve an inspiring environment, without distraction or disruption, where covenants are kept in a
     spirit of unity so the Holy Ghost can teach truth
3.  Promote modesty, cleanliness, neatness, and restraint in dress and grooming
4.  Maintain an elevated standard distinctive to educational institutions of the Church of Jesus Christ

Dress and grooming expectations as in the examples below should align with these principles. However, application of these principles is not limited to the expectations listed. Members of the university community are expected to apply these principles to dress and grooming questions as they arise.

CES Dress and Grooming Expectations

1.  Dress for men and women should:
a.  Be modest in fit and style. Dressing in a way that would cover the temple garment is a good
         guideline, whether or not one has been endowed. Accommodation may be made for
           athletic participation.
b.  Be neat and clean. Sloppy, overly casual, ragged, or extreme clothing is not acceptable.

2.  Grooming
a.  Hair should be clean, neat, modest, and avoid extremes in styles and colors.
b.  Men’s hair should be neatly trimmed. Men should be clean shaven. If worn, mustaches should
        be neatly trimmed.

Changing Major

Students are admitted with a declared program of study from their selection during the admissions application process.  If a student wishes to change their program of study (major), they must schedule a time to meet with their advisor in the Student Success Center.

Changes of majors should be processed the semester before students intend to start the new program.   

Church Attendance

Tithing dollars fund the majority of a student’s education at Ensign College, and admission is reserved primarily for those who adhere to the principles and practices of the Church. The educational experience at the College should augment and enhance righteous worship. Students must attend weekly Church meetings in order to receive an ecclesiastical endorsement from their bishop and continue as a student.

Confidentiality of Student Records (FERPA)

Student education records at Ensign College are generally accessible to eligible students according to the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The following is notice of student rights to their education records, a summary of the procedures for exercising those rights, and a description of student directory information that may be disclosed to the public without the student’s consent as required by law.

Eligible students, admitted and enrolled at Ensign College, generally have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their education records within a reasonable period of time upon submitting a written request to the Registration Office specifying the records to be inspected along with proof of identification. The Registration Office will notify the student of the time and place the records may be inspected.
  2. Petition Ensign College to amend or correct any part of the education record believed to be inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of their privacy rights. Students may submit a written request to the Registration Office clearly identifying the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the Registration Office decides not to amend the record as requested, the student will be notified of the decision and advised of their right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures as outlined in College policy will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education record, except as otherwise authorized by law. Examples of exceptions to consent of disclosure include:
    1. Access of education records by Ensign College officials and agents having a legitimate educational interest in the records. This category includes any Ensign College official or agent who accesses student educational records for the purpose of performing a task or responsibility relating to his or her employment or professional responsibility at the College. These individuals may include faculty, administration, staff, campus security services, and other College agents, including third-party vendors or contracted agents acting in behalf of the College, who manage student education record information including, but not limited to, student education, discipline, or financial aid.
    2. Parents who establish the student’s dependency for federal income tax purposes.
    3. Upon request, Ensign College will disclose educational records without consent to officials of another college or university to which the student is enrolled, or seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. File a complaint with the Department of Education concerning failures by Ensign College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is the Student Privacy Policy Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, DC 20202- 5920,

Directory Information

Ensign College has designated the following student information as directory information that it may disclose without the consent of the student:

  • Name, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses
  • Student ID number
  • Month and day of birth
  • Major fields of study
  • Pictures
  • Dates of attendance (current and past) and number of months/semesters enrolled
  • Class standing (freshman, sophomore)
  • Enrollment status (full-time, part-time, less than half-time)
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Previous educational institution attended
  • Anticipated future enrollments
  • Course registrations prior to the beginning of a semester
  • Dates of employment and job title for student employment positions
  • Deferred registration eligibility
  • Expected date of graduation

Directory Information will not be provided to third parties in the form of mailing lists or labels.

Students have the right to restrict, or block, all disclosure of the above directory information.  To request restriction of disclosure of all directory information, students must file a written request with the Registrar’s Office.  This restriction will remain until the student specifically rescinds it in writing.

Students may also unlist some or all directory information online by logging into MyEnsign and clicking the Student Center. Under “Personal Information” click on “Demographic Data.” Choose the “Security” tab and then click on “FERPA restrictions.”

Departments requesting mailing list information or other directory information may do so by contacting the Registration Office.  Departments should provide a written request with the signature of their Vice President, Program Chair, or director explaining the need for the information and how it will be used.  The Registration Office will review the request to ensure FERPA compliance.
Parents or guardians of students claimed as dependents on the most recently submitted Federal Income Tax form may have grade reports forwarded to them pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974.  Parents of dependent children under the above-described definition must submit their most recent tax forms showing the student as a dependent to the Registration Office.

No grade report will be sent to a parent or guardian without proper authorization.  The Registration Office will record tax forms and send grade reports as requested.  Parents of students who have declared themselves as independent are not eligible to receive grade reports.


Ensign College offers free short-term counseling assessments to determine the best resources, support, and services (both inside and outside the college) to fit students’ needs. Students struggling with mental health, behavioral issues, or life challenges are encouraged to take advantage of this assessment. If they require more than short-term support, they will be referred to outside counseling services that can best support them in their goals.

Other counseling resources may include workshops and online resources.

Disability Services

Ensign College provides reasonable academic modifications for students with disabilities according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.  It is the responsibility of the student to self-identify and provide proper documentation in order for Ensign College to provide adequate academic modifications.  The type of documentation required, as well as what is considered current documentation, depends on the individual and the nature of the disability.

Services are individualized based on what reasonable modifications the student needs to ensure that the student has equal access to the educational and administrative services and programs offered at Ensign College. There is no predetermined list of modifications for any particular disability. Modifications are determined through an interactive process that begins during a student’s intake interview with the disability services representative.  Modification decisions are based on the impact of a student’s disability, any relevant academic policies, and an assessment of the essential outcomes of a course or program of study.

Temporary medical conditions such as broken limbs, surgery, flu, and pregnancy are not usually considered disabilities, and students should work directly with their faculty. Faculty have the right and responsibility to determine what is reasonable adjustments for students in the case of temporary injury or illness.  In the event that questions arise as to what is reasonable, the program chair and disability services office can assist with recommendations for assistance.

All inquiries and requests should be submitted to:

Ensign College
Attn: Disability Services  
95 North 300 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Phone: 801-524-8151

Ecclesiastical Endorsement

As part of our commitment to excellence, you must be in good standing with the Honor Code to be admitted to, attend and graduate from Ensign College.  This means your conduct must be consistent with the Honor Code and principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Annual Ecclesiastical Endorsement is one of the requirements to maintain good standing.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:   All enrolled, continuing students at Ensign College need to annually submit a continuing endorsement from the bishop of the ward in which they live and that holds their current Church membership record.  Students attending wards on or off campus can request an endorsement online by selecting “Student,” “Continuing/Currently Enrolled,” and “I am currently enrolled at Ensign College.” From there, you’ll be asked to log in with your Church account and can follow the steps to completion. Once you have submitted your endorsement request, your bishop should be able to view your request through the website.

The Registration office will begin accepting continuing student ecclesiastical endorsements beginning on March 1 of each academic year.  Your new Ecclesiastical Endorsement form must be submitted before you can register for Fall semester.

Other Students: Those who are not members of the Church can be endorsed annually by any local bishop or branch president.  Students who need to talk to a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints bishop may contact the Honor Code Office.  Please see if you are applying as a new student.

Whether on or off campus, all students are expected to follow the Honor Code, which includes the (1) Academic Honesty Policy, (2) Dress and Grooming Standards and (3) Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement.

Withdrawn or Denied Ecclesiastical Endorsement

An ecclesiastical leader may withdraw a student's endorsement at any time or may decline to endorse a continuing student if the leader determines that the student is no longer eligible for the endorsement.  If an endorsement is withdrawn or if a continuing student ecclesiastical endorsement is denied, no confessional information is exchanged without authorization from the student.  The withdrawal of a student’s ecclesiastical endorsement automatically results in the loss of good Honor Code standing.  Students who are not in good Honor Code standing must discontinue enrollment.  Also, they are not eligible for graduation, even if they have otherwise completed all necessary coursework. 

The decision to withdraw an ecclesiastical endorsement or to deny a continuing student ecclesiastical endorsement may be appealed through appropriate ecclesiastical leaders only.  As a matter of practice, Ensign College does not intervene in ecclesiastical matters or endorsements.  In unusual circumstances, however, a student may petition the Dean of Students’ Office to allow an exception to the Ecclesiastical Endorsement requirement.  As part of the petition, the student must (i) complete an Application for Exception to Policy (this form may be obtained from the Dean of Students Office); (ii) prepare a written statement outlining the reasons why the college should allow an exception; and (iii) within ten business days of receiving notice that the ecclesiastical endorsement has been withdrawn or that a continuing student ecclesiastical endorsement has been denied, submit the completed application and relevant statements to the Dean of Students Office for consideration.

When considering the petition, the Dean of Students will determine whether the student has observed and continues to observe the standards of the Honor Code or has demonstrated other sufficiently compelling grounds to warrant an exception to the college’s ecclesiastical endorsement requirement.  The Dean of Students will not review the ecclesiastical leader’s decision to withdraw or deny endorsement or the process for reaching that decision.  The Dean of Students and other college officials will not discuss confidential matters with the student's present or former ecclesiastical leaders unless the student voluntarily signs a release allowing that communication.  The Dean of Students may also choose to personally interview the student, who may further explain the circumstances which might justify an exception to the ecclesiastical endorsement requirement.  The student bears the burden of persuasion that he or she should be considered to be in good Honor Code standing, notwithstanding the lack of an ecclesiastical endorsement.  The Dean of Students’ decision regarding the petition will be reviewed by the Vice President of Student Services if requested by the student.  The decision by the Vice President of Student Services is final.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Scholarship Office Contact Information

Address: 95 N 300 W Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Second floor of Ensign College

Call: 801-524-8111


Types of Financial Aid Available

There are many financial options that may be available for students:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Ensign College Scholarships
  • State Aid
  • Alternative Student Loans

Please see the "Types of Aid Available" tab on the Financial Aid website for information about each option.

Important Deadlines for Federal Student Aid

Financial Aid Census Date

The amount of financial aid you qualify for is affected by the credit hours for which you are enrolled as of 11:59 p.m. on the financial aid census date (“FAD”).  Classes added after this date or dropped/withdrawn before funds are disbursed to your student account will not impact your financial aid eligibility for the semester.

Please review the academic calendars to identify the financial aid determination deadline

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Deadline

The Department of Education must receive a valid FAFSA by the last day of enrollment, or June 30th, whichever comes first. Students should complete their FAFSA and submit any required documents preferably two months before their last day of attendance. 


The financial aid office recommends students turn in all verification items as soon as possible – preferably no later than two months before the last date of enrollment. It is the student’s responsibility to be aware of all deadlines. Please visit the FAFSA Verification Information website for more information.

Ensign College Scholarships

To embrace and support each individual’s unique talents and circumstances, the College provides a variety of scholarship funds for campus students. Ensign College has a Scholarship Portal which allows students to apply for institutional scholarships and many outside scholarship opportunities. Please visit our scholarship website to learn more about the scholarship options and to apply for a scholarship,

General Scholarship Policies

Ensign College scholarship recipients are expected to abide by the Ensign College Scholarship Policy. Please view

Types of Federal Financial Aid Available

Students may apply for federal financial aid by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To learn more about federal financial aid at Ensign College, visit Ensign College participates in the following federal programs. 

Federal Pell Grant 
A Federal Pell Grant is provided by the U.S. Department of Education on the basis of financial need. Pell Grants are based on the estimated cost of attendance, length of the enrollment period, and then number or program applicable credits in which a student enrolls. Most students do not have to be enrolled full time to qualify for a Pell Grant; however, taking less than 12 credits will result in a prorated award. The student must be an undergraduate who does not already have a bachelor’s degree. A Pell Grant is not a loan and is not required to be paid back in most circumstances. 

Federal Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education provides a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan based on financial need. The U.S. Department of Education also provides a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan; however, it is not based on financial need. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 program applicable credits for their loan funds to disburse. Principal and interest payments are postponed while the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half-time) and during the six-month grace period after graduation or ceasing to attend at least half-time. While the student is enrolled in at least 6 credits (half time), the federal government pays the interest for the student. For more information on student loans and grace periods, please visit

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) 
A Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available for the parents of undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least half-time (6 credits). The amount borrowed by the parent may not exceed the estimated cost of attendance during the period of enrollment. Please contact the financial aid office to determine eligibility.

General Eligibility for Federal Student Aid

In general, a financial aid recipient must meet the following eligibility standards:

  1. Have a high school diploma, G.E.D. certificate, or a high school equivalency certificate issued by their state of legal residence.
  2. Be admitted and enrolled as a degree-seeking student (must be enrolled in a program that is eligible for federal financial aid).
  3. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  4. Be making satisfactory academic progress. For details please visit

Be current on any required repayments of federal grants and/or federal student loans received for attendance at any school.

  1. Have a valid Social Security Number.

How to Apply for Federal Student Aid

We recommend all federal financial aid students visit the “Financial Aid Steps” at for information about how to apply for federal aid.

  1. Complete a FAFSA
  2. Check your Ensign College Email
  3. Submit Required Documents
  4. View or Accept your Financial Aid Awards
  5. Receiving Your Aid
  6. Staying Eligible


Return of Title IV or Withdrawals

Students receiving financial aid or scholarships should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing or dropping any classes after the semester has begun.  Students should never just stop attending class.  If a student drops or withdraws from individual classes, they must have begun attending in each course to remain eligible for the initial disbursement of financial aid.

At the end of the term, the financial aid office will review students who do not complete some or all of their classes and your last date of attendance is reviewed and/or your academic participation.  If a recipient of Title IV grant or loan funds completely withdraws (either officially or unofficially) from the College after beginning attendance, the amount of Title IV grant or loan assistance earned by the student must be determined.  Financial aid may be reduced after this review is complete and student will be notified via email about balances returned to the Department of Education.

Please visit for more detailed information.

Marriage and Federal Financial Aid

Students who are married by the last day of the Winter semester may choose to update their marital status.  Students are encouraged to speak with the financial aid office before changing marital status if they have already submitted a FAFSA for the current academic year.

For more information about changing marital status, please view

Satisfactory Academic Progress

A student receiving federal aid (federal grants and loans) must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). SAP includes your cumulative grade point average, your aggregate completion rate (Pace) and the maximum time frame to complete your degree. All periods of enrollment count toward Satisfactory Academic Progress (Fall, Winter, Spring), including periods when a student does not receive financial aid. SAP is processed at the completion of each semester once grades are posted and aid may be delayed until a student's eligibility can be determined.

Students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, complete at least 67% of the classes taken, and complete their program within 150% of the published program time (see your academic catalog year for specific # of credits). 

Please visit our website for more information and the SAP policy


Graduation Requirements

Meet all program requirements.
  • For degrees (AS, AAS, BAS), have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher. Certificates require a 2.0 certificate GPA.
  • Earn at least 25 percent of required credits directly from Ensign College.  Test credits are not included in this 25 percent.
  • Have a current ecclesiastical endorsement.
  • Have all financial accounts with the College current.
  • Apply and be approved for graduation.
  • Complete the Exit Survey.

Institute requirements.

  • Certificate programs with 26-29 credits will require two credits of religion.
  • Certificate programs with 30 or more credits will 4 credits of religion.

In addition to specific degree requirements, students must also meet the graduation requirements listed below:

  • Minimum Grade: A grade of C- or higher is required for all courses in every certificate, associate, and bachelor's degree. However, when not specifically required by a program, the following course requirements can be met by a D- or higher: General Education, college fundamentals, elective courses, and College and Career Success courses. A specific grade may be required as a prerequisite and programs may have additional minimum grade requirements. To satisfy general elective requirements, students must earn a minimum grade of D-. A passing grade (P) in a Pass/Fail course will satisfy the applicable program requirement.
  • Graduation Catalog: A student is responsible for the program requirements listed in the Ensign College Catalog from the year of first enrollment to the year of graduation.  Students are subject to all other policies, requirements, and procedures as outlined in the College catalog for the current academic year.
  • Academic Standing: Students who are academically suspended or academically dismissed may not graduate from Ensign College.
  • Good Honor Code Standing:  Students must be in Good Honor Code Standing in order to graduate from Ensign College.  Former students wishing to graduate from Ensign College, but whose ecclesiastical endorsement has expired, will need to submit a current endorsement before their application for graduation will be processed.
  • Students admitted as campus students must earn a minimum of 15 credits on campus (not online) at Ensign College or transfer 15 or more credits earned on campus at another CES School (BYU, BYU-Hawaii, or BYU-Idaho). Students admitted as online students must successfully complete PathwayConnect or complete GE 103 as a direct admit online student.

Application for Graduation

  • All students must be in good Honor Code standing in order to graduate from Ensign College.  Former students wishing to graduate from Ensign College, but whose ecclesiastical endorsement has expired, will need to submit a current endorsement before their application for graduation will be processed.  If a CES hold exists on the student's record, then any request for graduation will not be processed until the hold has been released.
  • Current students apply for graduation online via the MyEnsign student portal.  Former students may request assistance in applying for graduation by emailing For specific deadlines, students should refer to the Academic Calendar.  Students should apply to graduate in the semester they complete their program.
  • Graduates’ names will be included in the commencement program after the semester they graduate, not the commencement in which they march, if different.  Official graduation is subject to a degree audit following the last semester of enrollment.  Enrollment Services will notify students of any graduation deficiencies via official communication methods.  Students who do not satisfy all graduation requirements in the semester for which they applied must reapply to be considered for graduation in a subsequent semester.

Graduation applications open the first day of registration for the specific semester.

Name on the Diploma

The Ensign College diploma is a legal representation that the student earned the degree and/or certificate.  In which case, the institution uses the student’s legal name printed on the diploma (effective for graduates fall semester 2018).

Diploma Reprint/Reissue Policy

In the event a duplicate copy of a diploma is required due to change of name, lost, stolen, or a duplicate, a request for a replacement may be initiated with our Registrar’s office (online form). The cost for a replacement is $10.00.  The new diploma issued will bear the names of the current officials in office at the time the replacement diploma is produced.  Inquiries regarding records prior to 1987 will require additional time for research as these records are maintained on microfilm.

Attendance at Commencement

Ensign College Commencement is held annually in April.  Students who have completed their program requirements the prior July, December and that April, or next July are invited and may apply to participate in Commencement.

Graduation Application

Invited to participate in Commencement

Spring 2023

April 2023 or April 2024

Fall 2023

April 2024

Winter 2024

April 2024

Spring 2024

April 2024 or April 2025

Fall 2024

April 2025

Graduates and their families and friends may attend formal Commencement exercises.  All graduates, including those who complete their courses of study before Winter Semester, are encouraged to attend.  Students who do not attend Commencement may claim a diploma cover from Enrollment Services before leaving campus.

Diplomas will be mailed to graduates only after all requirements have been completed and verified, six-to-eight weeks after final grades are posted.

Commencement exercises at Ensign College are unique. The College holds Commencement in the Tabernacle located on Temple Square.  The historic, sacred location invites the ministry of the Spirit by event proceedings and the conduct of everyone participating in Commencement.  To assist in this invitation and show respect for everyone present, graduates participating in Commencement are required to observe the dress and grooming standards of Sunday worship services and the College Honor Code.

Additionally — so as not to draw attention to any individual — flowers, leis and other embellishments, including decorating your cap, are not appropriate in the Commencement ceremony.

Change in Graduation Requirements

The College reserves the right to change the requirements for graduation at any time.  Students are responsible to know the current program requirements for graduation.  Students are encouraged to counsel with their assigned Student Success Advisor each semester.

Graduation Honors 

Honors is based on the cumulative GPA after grades post for the graduation semester.  No adjustments will be made for grades posted or changed following the graduation semester.  To be eligible, the application must be submitted before the published Final Graduation Application Deadline of the student’s graduation semester.

Students with a 3.70 cumulative GPA or higher will graduate with honors (3.69 GPA does not round up).  Honors are based on GPA at the end of the semester prior to the graduation ceremony.  Honor students will be recognized by their wearing a gold honors cord during graduation commencement.

Financial Holds

Candidates with outstanding debts to Ensign College, for any reason, will not receive diplomas or official transcripts until all amounts are paid in full.

Standards Holds

Candidates who are not in good Honor Code standing will not receive diplomas until they have completed the requirements outlined by the office they are working with.  Students with a standard’s hold may not participate in commencement.

Exit Survey

In the interest of documenting post-graduation rates of employment, all students are required to complete a brief exit survey, available online, approximately one month before their anticipated graduation. The survey link is included on the Academic Requirements report in MyEnsign.


Ensign College Housing Policy

Ensign College provides a unique educational environment consistent with the religious standards of its sponsor—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because living conditions can greatly influence a student’s experience, Ensign College desires a living environment for its students that promotes moral and spiritual growth as well as academic performance.

Ensign College’s approved housing program differs from the housing program offered by other schools affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Ensign College relies upon the community to provide accommodations for its students, and does not own, operate, or control any student housing facilities. Students are expected to maintain the Residential Living Standards wherever they live.

Residential Living Standards

Students are required to comply with the following Residential Living Standards:

CES Honor Code

Students are required to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the Church Educational System (CES) Honor Code “at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9). This includes following the college’s dress and grooming standards, living a chaste and virtuous life; respecting others; abstaining from, possessing, serving, or consuming alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, vaping, and harmful drugs. Involvement with gambling, pornographic, erotic, indecent, or offensive material, obscene or indecent conduct or expressions, disorderly or disruptive conduct, or any other conduct or action inconsistent with the CES Honor Code or the principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the sole discretion of the college is not permitted in a student’s residence.

Sex-Separated Housing

All single students are required to live in sex-separated dwelling units unless they have obtained prior written permission from Ensign College’s Dean of Student’s Office. Brothers and sisters of the same family may live together in the same dwelling unit provided no other single persons live in the dwelling unit other than brothers and sisters of that immediate family.

Single students who find themselves in individual dwelling units where sex-separation is not maintained, that is, where a roommate (or apartment-mate or housemate) who is a member of the opposite sex has moved in, are required to find other housing arrangements, at the student’s cost.


Visitors of the opposite sex are permitted in living rooms and kitchens, but not in bedrooms or private hallways. The use of bathroom areas by members of the opposite sex is not appropriate unless emergency or civility dictate otherwise and then only if the safety and privacy of other residents are not jeopardized. Visiting hours for all may not begin before 9:00 a.m. and may not extend beyond 12:00 midnight. Friday night visiting hours may extend until 1:30 a.m. Landlords may establish a shorter visiting period if written notice is given to students. All guests of students must comply with the Residential Living Standards and the CES Honor Code while at a student’s dwelling unit. Violations of these standards may be reported to the Ensign College Honor Code Office.


No firearms, explosives, dangerous weapons, or any other items which, in their intended use, are capable of inflicting serious personal injury (except reasonable cutlery) may be stored, kept, or maintained in a student-occupied dwelling unit.

Address Requirement

All students must provide to Ensign College the current street address of their local residence (not a post office box). Students must verify their address each semester or term when registering for classes.

Preferred Off-Campus Housing

As an informal service to its students, Ensign College provides a list on its website of residential rental properties the owners of which have entered into an annual agreement with Ensign College to be considered a “Preferred Off-Campus Housing.” Students are free to make housing arrangements wherever they like and are under no obligation to choose from the list of Preferred Off-Campus Housing. Owners of Preferred Off-Campus Housing agree to promote the Residential Living Standards and Ensign College inspects the premises and dwelling units of Preferred Off-Campus Housing prior to entering into an annual agreement. However, Ensign College does not exercise control over the operations of any properties designated as Preferred Off-Campus Housing. Ensign College makes no representation or warranty as to the suitability, quality, safety, living conditions, tenant satisfaction, value, or any other factor or condition with respect to Preferred Off-Campus Housing. The student and his or her family are solely responsible for making all housing arrangements while the student attends Ensign College, including determining the suitability of a particular facility and inspecting and otherwise evaluating the facility before entering into a lease agreement.

Student Eligibility for Preferred Off-Campus Housing

Preferred Off-Campus Housing is only available to Eligible Students (defined below). Owners designate individual dwelling units or sections of their properties as Preferred Off-Campus Housing in which only Eligible Students of the same sex may reside.

“Eligible Student” means a student matriculated at Ensign College or another accredited institution of higher learning operated by the Church Educational System provided that institution has a comparable housing policy. An Eligible Student must be enrolled in daytime or evening classes, whether part or full-time, and must have paid the required application fee for enrollment or reenrollment for a semester or term commencing within four months after the initial date of occupancy.

The following do not qualify as Eligible Students:

  • Students who have been dismissed for an Honor Code violation or evicted for violations of the Ensign College Residential Living Standards.
  • Students on academic suspension.
  • Single students who have dependents or are legal guardians of dependent children.
  • Students who are married
  • Students who are 31 years of age and older

Further, Ensign College has determined that convicted sex offenders, whether required to register or not, pose a significant, clear and present danger to residents living in Preferred Off-Campus Housing, and do not qualify as Eligible Students.


For more information about Preferred Off-Campus Housing, contact the Ensign College Housing Office.

Ensign College Requirements for Owners of Preferred Off-Campus Housing

Owners of rental properties designated by Ensign College as Preferred Off-Campus Housing (Eligible Properties) must comply with the requirements contained in this document.

Eligible Students

Owners must designate the dwelling units that will be leased exclusively to Eligible Students of the same sex. The term “Eligible Student” is defined in the Ensign College Housing Policy. Prior to entering into a lease agreement with a student, an Owner must verify the applicant’s status as an Eligible Student by contacting the Ensign College Housing Office at 801-524-8180.

Residential Living Standards

Owners must promote Ensign College’s Residential Living Standards (as set forth in the Housing Policy) by

  • incorporating the Residential Living Standards into all lease agreements with Eligible Students (using the Ensign College Preferred Off-Campus Housing Addendum or another form of contract approved in writing by Ensign College);
  • ensuring that dwelling units designated for Eligible Students are separated by sex;
  • informing students of the Residential Living Standards by conspicuously posting copies of them in the dwelling units, reminding Eligible Students at lease sign-up and check in times that they are contractually obligated to abide by them, and providing copies of them to Eligible Students at check-in time;
  • reporting known violations of the Residential Living Standards to Ensign College Honor Code Office at 801-524-1936; and
  • taking corrective action as appropriate.

A material violation of the Residential Living Standards constitutes a violation of the Eligible Student’s lease agreement with the Owner and may necessitate corrective action by the Owner. An Owner’s failure to take reasonable steps to maintain the standards is grounds for Ensign College to terminate its agreement with the Owner and for Eligible Students to terminate their lease agreements with the Owner.

Although Owners agree to promote the Residential Living Standards, Owners and not Ensign College are responsible for operations of Eligible Properties, including but not limited to the following:

  • overseeing enforcement or compliance with the Residential Living Standards;
  • inspecting and monitoring the condition or cleanliness of individual dwelling units;
  • reviewing and approving terms with students (except for the Preferred Off-Campus Housing Addendum);
  • collecting rent and fees from Eligible Students;
  • issuing and collecting keys or access cards; and
  • mediating and resolving disputes between the Owner and its tenants, including Eligible Students.


Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 permits educational institutions to segregate its students on the basis of sex in housing, but institutions may not include non-students in sex separation. As a result, except for approved sex separation of dwelling units designated for Eligible Students, Owners may not discriminate in the rental of facilities on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, or disability. This requirement applies regardless of the size of a rental facility or whether the owner of the dwelling unitis living on the premises or not. Owners may not advertise any dwelling units as sex-separated.


Owners must maintain facilities in good repair, shall preserve the possession of the dwelling unit, and must use lawful procedures of notice and entry. Owners must reasonably and with due diligence resolve complaints. Owners must provide at least two contact numbers for each of its properties so that students can provide notice of complaints. At least one contact must reside or do business in the Salt Lake City area. Emergencies or critical problems affecting health or safety must be addressed promptly.

Threat of Harm

Owners must inform Ensign College immediately of any student contemplating life-threatening harm to self or others and of any other risk of serious harm to students. In an emergency, call the police (911) and then immediately call Church Security (801-240-2771), which will notify Ensign College. For non-emergencies, call the Ensign College Honor Code office (801-524-1936).

Good Faith and Fair Dealing

Owners must ensure that all descriptions, advertisements, and promotions are accurate, and must exercise good faith and fair dealing in all relations with students and Ensign College. If an Owner or its agent’s dealings are misleading, deceptive, dishonest, unfair, or in bad faith, Ensign College may terminate its agreement with the Owner. Owners may not remove students or harass or retaliate against them for the exercise of rights granted by contract or the law. Owners must make a good-faith effort to settle any controversies with an Eligible Student.

Owners must not refuse to rent to an Eligible Student based on the student’s likelihood of leaving for purposes of mission, marriage, internship, or graduation and must not unlawfully evict Eligible Tenants, or harass or retaliate against Eligible Tenants for their exercise of rights under the lease or Utah law;

Change of Ownership

Owners must notify the Ensign College Housing Office of any change of ownership. A change of ownership may, at Ensign College’s discretion, be grounds for termination of its agreement with the Owner.


International Students

F-1 international students are responsible for maintaining their status while in the United States, including (1) enrolling full-time, (2) engaging only in authorized employment, and (3) keeping a valid passport. For more information, read "Instructions to Students" and "Maintaining Status." Failure to meet the terms and conditions of nonimmigrant status is grounds for removal from the United States. Contact the international student office for questions regarding F-1 regulations.

Records and Registration

Adding Courses

A period in which a student may add a class that is available on the catalog with available seating. See academic calendar for specific dates and deadlines.


Students wanting to audit a class (register for and attend class as a “listener” without receiving credit or a grade) must declare this at the time of registration. Tuition and fees are the same as if the class were taken for credit. Audited courses fulfill no graduation requirements and earn no credit. Therefore, they do not count in the credit load for international students, veterans, students receiving financial aid, or other tuition support programs. Students may not challenge courses they have audited. Incomplete grade contracts may not be fulfilled by auditing a course. It is possible to change from audit status to credit status, or vice versa, from the beginning of the registration period through the last date to drop classes (see Academic Calendar).

Credit/audit changes should only be made after careful consideration of the financial aid and credit load implications and after consultation with the Financial Aid Office and an academic advisor.

Dropping Courses

Drops exist to allow students the ability to adjust their class schedule at the beginning of each semester. Courses may be dropped through the date noted on the Academic Calendar.

Grading System

Grades are determined by each instructor based upon an evaluation of all assigned and completed coursework. Course participation, mastery of subject matter, and promise of continuing success in sequential courses in related fields are all criteria used to evaluate progress.

  • “A” represents outstanding understanding, application, and integration of subject material and extensive evidence of original thinking, skillful use of concepts, and ability to analyze and solve complex problems. Demonstrates diligent application of Learning Model principles, including initiative in serving other students.
  • “B” represents considerable/significant understanding, application, and incorporation of the material that would prepare a student to be successful in next level courses, graduate school, or employment. The student participates in the Learning Model as applied in the course.
  • “C” represents sufficient understanding of subject matter. The student demonstrates minimal initiative to be prepared for class. Sequenced courses could be attempted, but mastering new materials might prove challenging. The student participates only marginally in the Learning Model.
  • “D” represents poor performance and initiative to learn, understand, and apply course materials. Retaking a course or remediation may be necessary to prepare for additional instruction in this subject matter.
  • “E” represents failure in the course.
  • “P” represents passing the course and is not calculated into the GPA.
  • “W” represents withdrawal from the class and is not calculated into the GPA.
  • “UW” represents an unofficial withdrawal which is given to a student who meets the following criteria: Did not complete proper withdrawal procedures; has record of non-attendance that began before the last date to withdraw from individual courses without grade earned; and did not complete any work, tests, or class related assignments after attendance ceased. The “UW” is calculated into the GPA as a failing grade value. (0.0)
  • “I” is a conditional grade. (See Incomplete Grade)
  • “CR” indicates credit given.
  • “NC” indicated no credit.
  • “NR” represents the grade was not reported by the instructor. A student receiving a “NR” grade should contact the instructor to request that a valid grade be submitted to Enrollment Services.
  • “V” indicates a course taken for audit.
  • Under some circumstances, students receiving financial aid may not be eligible to receive a grade of CR, NC, P, I, W, or V. Consult the Financial Aid Office for additional information relevant to specific situations.
  • CR/NC (Credit/No Credit). Credit/No Credit courses do not count towards graduation and are not calculated into the GPA. A mastery level of 80% is required to receive credit in the following courses:

Credit Definitions

  • Attempted:  The total number of credits in which a student has registered in a semester or on a cumulative basis.
  • Earned:  The total number of credits completed with a progress grade in a semester or on a cumulative basis.
  • Passed:  The total number of credits earned that do not factor into a semester or cumulative GPA.
  • Quality:  The total number of credits earned that factor into a semester or cumulative GPA.
  • Points:  The total number of grade points earned in a semester or on a cumulative basis.

The following table indicates each grade variant at Ensign College with its equivalent grade points:

One Credit of

Equals Grade Points











































* Does not affect the GPA calculation, but may impact Satisfactory Academic progress.
** Does not affect the GPA calculation, does not impact Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Calculating GPA and SAP

GPA: quality points divided by quality credits
SAP: earned credits divided by attempted credits
NOTE: Student financial aid eligibility may be determined by a different GPA standard and Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) percentage.

Challenge Exam Policy

Students may choose to take a challenge exam, which carries credit and a credit received (CR) grade, to fulfill the requirements for eligible courses.  Students may request to earn credit through a challenge exam if they are eligible to enroll, including having an ecclesiastical endorsement.

  • Students may challenge a course only one time.
  • Students may not challenge a course for which they are currently registered.
  • Student also may not challenge a course that they have previously failed or from which they have previously withdrawn or received credit.
  • Although students may request to challenge a course for credit, individual departments determine whether an examination exists and will be offered.  Departments also determine the passing score for each challenge exam.

Students wishing to appeal the grade or credit awarded for the challenge exam should follow the Grievance Policy and Procedures for Academics.

Course Credit Hours and Classroom Preparation Time

Ensign College measures academic credit in credit hours.  In accordance with federal regulation, a credit hour at the College is the amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that reasonably approximates not less than:

  • One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out-of-class student work each week for approximately fourteen weeks for one semester hour of credit.
  • An average student can expect to spend a minimum of two hours in outside preparation time for every hour in class.  For example, in a 3-credit hour class, an average student can expect six hours of outside preparation time each week.  This represents the average student who is appropriately prepared; more time may be required to achieve excellence.


When a student requires their attendance to be deferred for a specific and designated time to serve a mission or is called on military duty, the student will need to submit our admission deferment form indicating the semester they will return.

All students returning from deferment will update their admissions application, submit a new Ecclesiastical Endorsement, and will be notified by admissions regarding the return from deferment.

If a student returns from deferment earlier than stated on their deferment form, they will need to contact the Admissions Office to update the expected return date.

Ensign College will readmit students following voluntary and involuntary service in the Armed Forces of the United States, including service in the National Guard or Reserve, in compliance with applicable federal and state laws. Students seeking readmission after military service must meet all admission requirements, including having a valid ecclesiastical endorsement, at the time of readmission. For more information, please visit our "Veterans" website or call the Admissions Office at 801-524-8145.

Grade Changes

After the final grade submission deadline, grades may be changed only for the following reasons:

  • No grade was submitted by the deadline.
  • A calculation error was made in computing the grade.
  • The wrong grade was posted.
  • An Incomplete grade contract was finalized.
  • The previous grade was re-evaluated, but no additional work was submitted.
  • A grade change should not be submitted if a student completes any additional work beyond the end of the semester.  If extenuating circumstances exist, an incomplete grade may be granted if requested before the grade submission deadline.

A submitted grade typically cannot be changed to a W (Official Withdrawal).  Students who had a non-academic emergency may file an Exception to Academic Policy form.

In addition to changing a student’s semester and cumulative GPAs, a grade change may also change a student’s total earned credits.  A grade change may also positively or negatively impact a student’s academic standing.

Grade change requests may only be submitted by the instructor or an authorized designee via the College’s approved grade change process.  Grade change requests older than one year are additionally reviewed by the Director of Institutional Effectiveness & Assessment and typically are not approved.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (“I”) is a conditional grade and granted only when extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control occur after the semester withdrawal deadline.  Incomplete grades are given only if students are passing the course and would be capable of completing the work before the end of the subsequent semester.

The instructor must receive approval from the Academic Office before issuing an “I” grade.  Contracts are available from the Academic Office.  A grade contract must be completed and signed by both instructor and student before the semester ends; not afterwards.

The student must be able to complete the remaining work on an individual basis with the instructor.  Re-enrollment or attendance in all or part of the same course during a subsequent semester cannot be required as part of the contract.  The general length of time to fulfill the requirements of an incomplete contract is one additional semester.

Instructor and student must meet to determine the extent of work/assignments to be complete and the due date(s).

Class attendance in a subsequent semester or re-registering is not permitted to make up the incomplete.

If the incomplete work has not been finished by the end of the semester after the “I” was given, the “I” will be changed by the Registrar’s Office to an “E” grade.

Repeatable Courses

Repeatable courses allow a class to be taken two or more times for additional credit.  Most classes at Ensign College are not repeatable for credit.  Repeatable courses are generally designated with an “R” at the end of the course code (ex: MUS 102R).  Departments establish the maximum number of credits and times a course can be repeated.  A repeated course does not replace the former grade or credit of a previously completed course, unless the maximum allowable repeats have been exceeded.  In such cases the enrollments are treated as a retake (see “Repeating Courses”).

Approval to enroll in a repeatable course for the purpose of replacing a previous credit and grade must be obtained from the Academic Exceptions Committee prior to registering for the course.

Repeating Courses

Students should seriously consider NOT repeating courses if they have already received the satisfactory grade (C or higher) towards their program and graduation requirements. If a student chooses to repeat a course, they can repeat a course only once. They must register and pay tuition for the semester in which the class is repeated. The original grade remains on the record and is marked as a repeated course. Once the course has been discontinued, the right to repeat the course is gone.

The highest grade received in the course will then be used in calculating the student’s cumulative grade point average. Hours earned in repeat courses may be counted toward graduation requirements only once. Students must obtain approval from the Program Chair on the third attempt of the course (second repeat) if the student still has not achieved a C or higher grade.

Federal financial aid (including Pell Grants & Direct Loans) will only pay for students to re-take a class once after receiving a passing grade. Certain eligibility requirements apply

Ensign College courses cannot be replaced by equivalent courses from other institutions.

Sexual Harassment Policy

All forms of sexual harassment, including sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking on the basis of sex are contrary to the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Church Educational System Honor Code. Ensign College prohibits Sexual Harassment by its personnel and students, and in all of its education programs or activities. To review the full sexual harassment policy definitions, and applicable grievance procedures, visit

Test, Prior Learning, and Transfer Credit

Academic Credit for Prior Learning (ACPL) refers to a process used by post-secondary institutions to award academic credit for a student's knowledge and expertise acquired through life and professional experience, as long as the student's knowledge and skills are determined to be equivalent to college-level learning. 

Students can be considered for ACPL for prior missionary service or foreign language proficiency (see below).

Not all courses at Ensign College are designated appropriate for ACPL. Each department determines the evaluation method required for students to demonstrate proficiency in the course content. Refer to individual programs for ACPL requirements.

The following restrictions apply to awarding ACPL credits:

  • There is no assurance that any ACPL credit will be granted.

  • ACPL credits cannot duplicate credits that have already been awarded.

  • ACPL credits do not count towards the minimum graduation requirement of 25% of degree  credits that must be taken at Ensign College. 

  • ACPL courses receive a “CR” (credit) on the transcript and will not affect the GPA. 


Academic credit for prior learning can be awarded through one of the following options: 

Missionary Service

Returned missionaries will qualify if they have served at least 9 months and received an honorable release. Currently, enrolled students who participated in any form of missionary service for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints can complete an assessment on leadership, service, and college-wide capabilities to earn Ensign College credits for prior learning.

Foreign Language

The Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services (FLATS), administered through BYU or the CES English Language Assessment administered at Ensign College, provides you the opportunity to receive 12 semester hours of university credit by examination. Please see FLATS website for additional information.

Students may earn a maximum of 75% of the credit required for a credential from Ensign College by transfer credit and credit by examination.  Test credit includes Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), BYU Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services (FLATS) exam (53 languages) or the CES English Language Assessment, course challenge examinations, and industry certifications.  All scores must be on official transcripts.

Transcript Requests

Official academic transcript requests are made online at Transcripts may not be ordered by phone, e-mail, paper or fax. Transcripts can be requested by both current and former Ensign College students by logging into their student account. When requesting a transcript, students and former students may choose a certified electronic PDF transcript delivered within minutes of placing an order. Students and former students may also choose a paper copy to be sent by US Postal mail or overnight delivery for a fee. Official transcripts will not be released until all Ensign College debts have been paid in full. For more information, visit

Transfer Evaluation

Concurrent/Dual Enrollment Programs

Students may receive credit for courses previously taken through an early college program if those courses were administered from a regionally-accredited college or university and are recorded on an official college or university transcript. Official transcripts must be sent to Ensign College to be considered for transferability.  Concurrent or dual enrollment courses sent on a high school transcript will not be considered for transferability.

Full Disclosure of Transfer Schools

Failure to report and submit official transcripts to Ensign College from all institutions a student has attended or are currently attending, both U.S. and international, may result in disciplinary action including dismissal from Ensign College.

Official Transcripts

Ensign College considers evaluation of courses only with an official college or university transcript.  Official transcripts are transcripts mailed in a sealed envelope from the institution or through a secured electronic transmission.  Ensign College will not evaluate transcripts submitted via any method deemed unsecure by the College.

Transfer from Ensign College 

While Ensign College makes every effort to establish articulation agreements with other colleges and universities, students who are considering transferring to another college or university should review that institution’s transfer guidelines.

Transfer to Ensign College 

Ensign College generally accepts college-level transfer credits from regionally-accredited colleges and universities. Transfer credit from institutions outside the United States will be considered for general elective credit when a translation/evaluation is submitted through one of the approved translation services listed on our website.

Courses taken more than 10 years ago are subject to the Ensign College Course Expiration Policy with one exception. General Education courses taken more than 10 years ago are not considered expired by Ensign College. Generally, these classes will be awarded credit towards a specific General Education Area (Fine Arts, Social Science, Life Science, etc.) rather than as a direct equivalent. Credits awarded towards a specific General Education Area may meet the program requirements for a degree/certificate but specific course requirements may still be required to ensure academic preparation. In cases where credit cannot be awarded towards a specific General Education Area, “Elective” credit may be awarded.

Only transfer courses with a grade of C- or higher are eligible for transfer consideration.  Additionally, transfer credit may be used to satisfy degree requirements but will not be calculated into the Ensign College GPA.  Transfer courses considered to be out of harmony with established principles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will not be accepted by Ensign College for credit consideration.


Transfer of Religion Credit from Other Church Schools or Institutes of Religion:

Religion credit earned at Church Education System (CES) Institutes of Religion and other CES Schools will transfer to Ensign College as an equivalent religion course or elective credit so long as the course is taken for “CES Transfer” credit and such credit is noted on an official Institute/University transcript. This policy is primarily designed to benefit Ensign College students who are participating in the online degree programs. Students who are attending Ensign College on-campus are strongly encouraged to register for religion courses offered through Ensign College.

Transfer of Academic Credits from Non-Church Schools:
Students that transfer to Ensign College that have no religion credits must meet the religion requirements for graduation. The number of academic credits being transferred, and the desired degree, help determine how many religion credits are required. The matrix below, along with your Student Success Advisor, can help provide further guidance.

Reverse Transfer
Reverse transfer allows a former student to transfer credits they took at another institution back to Ensign College to complete their degree (certificate and/or associates).  Former students will need to complete the reverse transfer request form and provide the official transcripts to Ensign College to be evaluated.  Students will not need to reapply for admissions if they do not intend to take any classes at the college, but rather to submit the reverse transfer request form and official transcripts.  No more than 75% of transfer credits may be used to satisfy Ensign College degree requirements.  Students are required to follow all graduation requirements (See Graduation).


Free tutoring services are provided in the Student Success Center for all Ensign College students. To learn about what tutoring is available and when, call the Student Success Center at (801) 524-8151 or drop in on the 9th floor.

Veterans Education Benefits

Degree programs at Ensign College are approved by the state approving agency for the enrollment of persons eligible to receive education benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).

Ensign College will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Ensign College due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.


If a course is full and a student would like to be placed on the waitlist, students have the option to be added to a waitlist queue.  Students can utilize the waitlist process in their course registration process in MyEnsign.  If an open seat becomes available in the course, the next student in the queue will be enrolled.  Students will be emailed a confirmation when they are added to the course from the waitlist. 

All registration errors and holds must be resolved in order for the student to be moved from the waitlist into a course when an opening in the course becomes available.

A student will not be enrolled in a course from the waitlist if there are any registration errors.  Common registration errors are as follows:

  • The student is already registered for another section of that class
  • There is a hold on the student's account
  • The waitlist class has a time conflict with another class on the student’s schedule
  • The student has not met the prerequisites for this class
  • The course will put the student in an overload status for the semester (cannot exceed 18 credits in a semester)
  • The course requires the instructor's permission or other requirements

Withdrawal from Courses

Withdrawals exist to allow students time to determine if a class fits their ability and goals.  Students are expected to take responsibility to ensure that their schedules are correct and to attend all courses for which they are registered until they officially withdraw from those courses.  The following policies apply:

  • Students must drop from their schedules the courses which they do not plan to attend.  Dropped courses will not appear on student transcripts if they are dropped by the Drop Deadlines listed on the Academic Calendar.
  • After the time period designated above, students who officially withdraw from a course receive a W (official withdrawal) on their permanent record.  The withdrawal (W) is not used in calculating GPA.  Official withdrawal may occur through the date announced on the Academic Calendar.
  • Under no circumstances is dropping a course after the official withdrawal period permitted for purposes of avoiding an unsatisfactory grade.  After the end of the official withdrawal period, a W will only be authorized for critical circumstances which are beyond the student’s control and prevent them from completing courses for which they are registered.  In such cases, circumstances must be documented and presented in a petition to the Registrar’s Office.  In cases of serious illness or injury, family members may petition for student withdrawal.
  • Students who never attended class or who stop attending class but do not officially withdraw by the withdrawal deadline will receive an Unofficial Withdrawal (UW).  The UW is calculated in the GPA as a failing grade (E).

Withdrawal from the College

Students can withdraw from the College at their own discretion.

Students may withdraw or drop all classes through MyEnsign through the Add/Drop Deadline.  Students may also submit a request form with signature authorizing the Office of the Registrar to withdraw all courses through the drop deadline.  (The official date of withdrawal will be the date written notification is received by the College.)  Students should be mindful of the federal financial aid implications, international student status, and other factors that will result in dropping all their classes and withdrawing from the college.  Students are strongly encouraged to meet with appropriate services at the College prior to withdrawing from the college through MyEnsign.

When a student completely withdraws from Ensign College after the tuition deadline, a pro-rated refund can be given by request until 60% of the semester has passed.  There will be NO REFUND given when a student withdraws from school after 60% of the semester has elapsed.